Friday, November 6, 2009

Shine Where You Are

This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine…hide it under a bushel? NO! I’m gonna let it shine… This verse connects with Matthew 5:14-16—part of the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus says,” 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

This past week, I’ve been thinking a lot about this song and wonder, what does it mean to let our light shine? What is the light that shines? There are numerous scripture metaphors and references using light and the more I think about the image of light, the more beautiful I see these metaphors. Looking at John 1, Jesus is the life and the light of all people. John 1:5 says, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it,” can be understood as Jesus shines in the darkness, and the darkness will not overcome . The question of how is Jesus shining in the darkness in our lives?

Being human, we yearn for light. When I was a backpack guide in Colorado, after a long day, 6am-11pm of guiding the group and making sure we were on the right path, had food to eat, water to drink, leading Bible study, games and being sure everyone was healthy, I yearned for time to read a book or write in my journal. Often times, my alone time was at 11pm at night, when we were 7 miles from the trailhead and there was no light around besides flashlights. When I turned my flashlight on, bugs began to pester me. I yearned for light so I could see, so I would shine it to corner in my tent, the light was present, but I was unable to read my book. The light is sometimes a challenge for us to see the details, but knowing that the light is there brings comfort and peace.

Jesus is the light that shines through us—how is Jesus shining through you and how you live your life? Letting the light of Christ shine through you is not a requirement, but a response to the grace and presence of Christ in our lives. Jesus is the light that shines in the darkness; the darkness will not overcome Jesus, but will sustain and be the stronghold through all challenges encountered in this world.
Jesus is the light of the world, and Jesus is the light that shines through you. What you do in this world is not about you and not to shine yourself into the spotlight in this world. The good news is that Jesus is present in who you are as a child of God and you have the call to live in this world and let that light shine through you.

Let the light shine through you in not some parts of your life, but all parts of your life, each and every day. You may not be able to read the words on this current page of life, but the light of Christ is present and you know the truth and that is that Jesus died on the cross and forgives all your sins; may you respond to this love and grace and let the light of Christ shine through you. May you love your neighbor as yourself and let the light of Christ shine.

I’d like to close with my favorite camp song that reminds us to live in the present moment and shine where we are:
You are the light of the world.
You are the light of the world.
So shine, shine, shine where you are.
You are the light of the world.

This little light of mine, I am going to let it shine—may this be your mantra for the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment