Sunday, October 16, 2016

Chattanooga 70.3 2016, 4th 70.3 Undertrained but Fun

PREPARATION/TRAINING:  Approaching my 4th 70.3 race, I knew I was significantly undertrained.  Working in the airline industry and traveling around the world and across time zones often, significantly impacted my training, but I was confident I had the ability to finish the race, I just was unsure what to expect and how I would feel.  


WEATHER: The weather was great, I can't remember details, but it was wonderful!

CLOTHING: I wore an Epix brand, 2 piece, Chattanooga Triathlon Club race kit all day.  I also wore my tifosi sunglasses all day and then my headsweat visor on the run.  For the swim, I did wear my Xterra, long sleeve wet suit.

RACE GOAL:  Knowing that preparation was a limitation for this race, I wanted to push myself hard enough to do my best, but I wanted to maintain an awareness of how my body was feeling.  Ultimately I wanted to finish this race feeling good, knowing I had an Ironman in October to continue to focus on.


ACTUAL FINISH: 6:19:57

                SWIM: 40:00       (in 2015 37:24)
TRANSITION 1: 7:34         (in 2015 7:08)
                  BIKE: 3:17:13     (in 2015  2:59:50)
TRANSITION 2: 4:40        (in 2015  3:32)
                   RUN: 2:10:30    (in 2015  2:03:04)

NUTRITION: 
RACE-DAY BREAKFAST/PRE-RACE NUTRITION:  I have a standard pre-race meal at this point, a banana, white bread sandwich with jelly and sometimes peanut butter, 8-12 oz. of unsweetened apple sauce and then sport drink (such as cytomax or gatorade).  Essentially I try for carbs that will break down easily.


PRE-RACE/RACE MORNING:  No nerves and ready to go, had fun with friends.  Low race expectations created low stress.  It was hard for me to not really have any race goals besides pushing myself as long as I could and then finishing.


1.2 MILE SWIM (40:00) 
Time: 40:00       Pace: 2:04/100m       Age Group Rank: 70 of 100
Gender Rank: 553/837
Overall Rank: 1682/2296

I started the swim, hoping to survive.  I had not worn my long sleeved wetsuit since this race last year, and I don't recommend that anyone does that, not a wise choice.  We had to swim upstream before swimming downstream, this was the challenging part, once I made it upstream, it was easy to complete the swim.  I only swam about once per week and then used swim cordz to prepare for this swim, so I was more tired than I should have been, but I never struggled or freaked out during the swim, no complaints, my time reflects the preparation i put in.


56 MILE BIKE (3:17:13)
Time: 3:17:13      Pace: 17:04 mph     Age Group Rank:  55 of 100
Gender Rank: 466/837
Overall Rank: 1604/2296

The bike is where I was most underprepared, working as a flight attendant really limits my ability to consistently train on the bike.  My longest ride before this race was around 40 miles.  Needless to say, I felt great for the first 40 miles and then I was worn out.  I did well pushing myself, but not pushing myself too much, but since I was underprepared, my race reflected that.  

I did met a fellow racer, Phil, and he and I rode most of the course 'together'.  I would pass him on the down hills and he would pass me on the uphill.  I felt like I rode the race course rolling hills well, really cruising on the downhill and taking it easy on the uphill.  the last 16 miles were tough, but mentally had to stay strong, so I finished a little tired but ready to run.  


13.1 MILE RUN (2:10:30)
Time: 2:10:30      Pace: 9:57/mile    Age Group Rank: 47 of 100
Gender Rank: 355/837
Overall Rank: 1297/2296

This run course is hilly, I use to run the area a lot so I knew exactly what I was getting in to.  Again, being significantly undertrained I was focused to stay strong and push myself as much as I could.  I am rather shocked I held on and finished in the time I did.  There was a lot of hurt, but my mind and attitude carried me through.
FINAL RACE THOUGHTS
Race preparation matters, but sometimes we don't have the time we want to put into training.  This was a day I enjoyed and had fun, I knew my abilities and was able to approach the race with the training I was able to do.  Would I have liked to race faster?  Yes.  Could have I raced faster?  Yes, with the proper training.  I'm thankful I could do this race, enjoy the day and continue to live a healthy lifestyle, and ultimately that is what triathlons are about for me.  Also, this race day reminded me that your mind, your attitude can directly impact how your race will go.    If you are relatively in shape, It is okay to be undertrained, but it is important to approach race day with the abilities you have at the time of the race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment