Saturday, July 3, 2010

Doors

Doors; I am not talking about a band, but I am talking about a door that all people walk through each day. Doors are often either open or closed. "A door is truly an amazing thing. Closed, it is an agent of separation...but swing it open and it becomes an invitation, uniting what before was separated," (Drew Leder).

The metaphor of a door offers a way to name how we are in relationship with God and how we see and experience the world. Doors are a natural encounter in life. Sometimes people call doors, doorways. Doors are integral in the physical world, they often let a person in or out of a location. Doors are also an integral part of our spiritual lives. You can't just look at doors and expect something to happen, you will go no where. A person must open or close a door for any change to happen.

John Tarrant once told me that I will encounter many open doors in life and that I must wait until one falls off the hinges and then I know that is where I am called to be.

THINKING ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE...
What does the doors of your heart look like? How are those doors opened or closed? Why?
How are you discovering the mystery of who you are?
How do you acknowledge the presence of God in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment